Thursday, January 13, 2011

Tell it & Sell it!! If your ebay auction item has a history or story...tell it!!!

When I was de-cluttering my home and listing 40+ years of accumulation on ebay...I felt the need to tell stories about a few items that had a special place in my life.  When I would tell a tale, it was always met with a good response...(Sometimes from an ebayer, that was not interested in the item) 

For example...

I listed a:  

GIRL & SCOTTIE DOG FIGURINE VINTAGE MADE IN JAPAN

I researched and never did find an exact match.  However, I found that vintage figurines marked "Made in Japan"...were currently selling - or had sold, for about 30 dollars, more or less (far less).  It was a leap of faith to start the bidding at $39.99.  

My figurine was in mint condition.  I knew it's age to be over 40 years old.  It was the cutest thing, but I had grown tired of dusting cute things! 

My story was straight from the heart...

*Dad took me with him to visit a friend.  Dad knocked on the front door of the man's house.  His wife answered the door and lead us through the house.  She said her husband was in the backyard.  She sent us out the back door.  The man saw dad and they begin to talk. 
I noticed some tables set in front of the garage.   I wandered over to the tables.  I had never seen somebody "keep" stuff on tables outside.  Odd to a 5 year old!!!  Sure enough, something caught my eye!
I went back to my father's side and tugged his shirt.  He told me to wait.  I kept silent but, my eyes were on that prize! 
It seemed like an eternity...Men talking about tires!!! 
Dad was about to say his good-byes!!!  I would not budge.  Finally, dad gets it.  "Oh, what did you want, honey?"
I take him over to the table, inquire why is this stuff outside?  The friend laughs. 
I hear for the first time in my young years the phrase,"garage sale"
Not really sure what that means...I point at the figurine...My father takes a look and turns to his friend...and said, "25 CENTS!!!???"  My dad then says..."I'll give you a dime"  The friend says that he cannot take less than a quarter!  Something about it belonging to somebody's - something about the family...All blah, blah, blah, to me!!!  Dad offers 15 cents...The man won't budge from the quarter!  My father is laughing...the man is not...I am sweating.
Dad gave him the quarter!  That figurine was "my first garage sale purchase"...and I witnessed my first haggling session....over 40 years ago!


The winner of my auction told me she absolutely loved that bit of history, enjoyed the story.... and she would take good care of my...GIRL & SCOTTIE DOG FIGURINE VINTAGE MADE IN JAPAN 

No comments:

Post a Comment