Tuesday, January 11, 2011

"My grandmother had one like that!"

How cool is that?  You find something in the world that reminds you of grandma.  Grandparents, especially if they are old enough to have come through the great depression have a common trait.  They have years of accumulation.  Stuff...lots of stuff. 
The stuff can fall into different catagories.  #1 Heavily used - in working order.  #2 Heavily used - in non working order. #3 Slightly used - in working order  #4 Slightly used - in non working order  #5 Never used - without box or other indentifying information or mark.  #6 Never used-in mint condition - still in box.  #7 WTH?
If you are in the sad position to settle an estate, clean up and clear out years of accumulation...An auction house or buyer of estates, will probably be your best option.  They have knowledge in moving your items quickly and do try to get top dollar.  Getting top dollar is a benefit to both you and your hired service.  They do charge for their services.  They deserve to be paid for their service, believe me! 
When it comes to pricing...you leave it to the experts.  They know the current values of antiques.  They should be up to date on what's hot, what's not.  What is rare and collectable.  To them, it is a business of moving goods.  It is hard enough to let go of grandma's things- they have sentimental value to you.  They have been in the family for so long!  It would be a shock to you, if you research enough...that even though you have a huge ticket price in mind, the market just might be flooded with grandma's rarities.  So...then let's look at condition...Is grandma's colbalt blue glass serving set complete?   Like new in the box?...Or missing pieces and scratched & chipped?...All bring down value...However, if the pieces are truly rare...(like they only made a few)...then condition does not matter too much.

*I sold a heavy mixing bowl on ebay.  It was handed down through the generations.  I had to clean years of dust off of it to see the color.  After cleaning it...I found it was yellow and was chipped and cracked - in poor condition.  But, it was pretty cool.  It had that charming aged look.  I really liked it, but was in the process of cleaning out my own stuff.  I think that most folks would have sent it to the trash.  It had no identifying mark.  I went to ebay's search and typed in "old yellow bowl".  Narrowed it to pottery.  Did not see anything in the up and running auctions...went to 'advanced search' - Within 15 minutes - I had a hit!  There before my eyes was a photo of that very same bowl, and it had sold for $9.99.   Now, I read the description - "McCoy mixing bowl, RARE yellow color.  Chips, cracks, bad shape", blah, blah, blah...Wow!!!  10 bucks for a bowl that is in such bad shape!  Yep, I'll take 10!  I listed my bowl, now that I know I have a rare color, and a maker's name really helped...and to my surprise...I ended up with 30 dollars!!!  
Is that RARE bowl worth more???  Maybe...but, the one who knew it was rare got ten dollars, I got 30 dollars...I'm happy!!! 
 

1 comment:

  1. Good advice regarding going through an estate. It made me realize that it isn't always really simple, but if done correctly, a sale can be made. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete