Friday, January 14, 2011

Listing Old Glassware on Ebay? Does the COLOR NAME Matter?

Mom had 6 depression glass plates in mint condition.  I have several books on old glassware, and was able to identify the pattern, the age, company and it's color.  The company that manufactured the plates in the 1930's, called the color "ultramarine"

Ultramarine?  They looked teal to me!  "Teal" is a more modern color word.  In fact, reproductions of  depression glassware had that color name.  Teal would devalue your truly old glassware.

I went to ebay's search, both the current running auctions and the completed auctions in the advanced search.

I found plenty listings of depression glassware.   In the titles I found these words to describe the same color that I had:  Blue, Sapphire, Aqua, Aquamarine, TEAL, and Ultramarine.

The next thing I noticed was that a lot of depression glass in any of these color names...currently had bids or had sold.  However, ULTRAMARINE...the true color name...was selling for more money...even if the same item was listed by some other color name.  Many of these items were in complete sets and mint condition.  Ultramarine had to be the keyword.

Naturally, I listed the plates by the color name, Ultramarine in the title line.  In the description, I also used the other color names, just to cover all the bases.

True to what I had found in my research, Ultramarine started bringing watchers immediately.   Shortly after, the bidding began. At the end of the auction, they sold for good money.  Teal, the more modern name...probably would not have brought attention to older glassware. 

It's worth the time to research the name of the color that sells!

No comments:

Post a Comment